Summer College Readiness Academy
March 16, 2017
SUMMER COLLEGE READINESS ACADEMY
The Summer College Readiness Academy is coming back to New Tech High in the Summer of 2017. Every student in the academy takes a challenging math or humanities course to prepare for the fall 2017 academic year. This program also provides individual tutoring and pre-college advising to all participants. New Tech High and Napa High have partnered for this year’s SCRA! This year’s SCRA runs from Tuesday, June 20th through Thursday, July 20th (July 3rd & 4th are holidays) from 8:30 – 12:30 pm at New Tech High.
There are two programs this year:
Incoming 9th Grade Math Academy
- All incoming 9th grade students are invited to participate in the program, but this is especially recommended for students who will be taking Math 1 in their 9th grade year.
- Focus on college counseling and visit to at least one college campus.
- Collaboration and culture building with fellow members of the incoming freshmen class.
- Please see the helpful links below for the 9th grade program:
Incoming 10th Grade Humanities Academy
- All returning 10th grade students are invited to participate in the program that focuses on strengthening humanities skill sets.
- Participate in college readiness seminars facilitated by a school counselor. Students will learn about college acceptance requirements and what they need to do to be college ready. Students will also explore career options and develop 10 year plans.
- Visit at least one college field trip with the Summer Academy
- Students will receive focused support from teachers and tutors.
- Earn elective course credits for their time spent in the Summer Academy
- Participate in school and community service activity
- Listen to guest speakers
- Please see the link below for how incoming 10th graders can apply:
All students who complete and pass the academy will earn 5 high school elective credits. Applications are due by 4 pm on Wednesday, April 19th. There will be a mandatory orientation in May for all accepted students.